Skip to main content

Prepare for takeoff



The plan now is to take off tomorrow morning and head North. We must first 'Run the Gauntlet' of drawbridges, 7 bridges in the first 15 miles. All of them opening at different times and intervals, with only a couple of them opening on demand. Slow going, with lots of spinning in circles and idling in the current. Not sure where we'll anchor tomorrow, we have plenty of choices and we'll see how things are going in the afternoon. We want to push on up to Port St. Lucie where we'll meet our good friends that we've hung out with for the last couple of months, say our goodbyes and farewells, and then continue north. We're eager to get North of St. Augustine, where we took off from in February, so we can stop backtracking and cover new ground.

Star walked to the nearby Publix today for ice, fresh meats, and a few other last minute preparations and then hauled them back in her handy-dandy rollerbag. (See photo). While she was shopping I stayed at the dinghy beach with Chief, and had an interesting conversation with Dan, who was ashore walking his yellow labs. He mentioned that he had a friend staying long term in the anchorage on a boat 'Julie Ann'. I said that "I've been staring at the boat, because I swear it looks just like the boat we were anchored next to in Luperon, Dominican Republic back in 1999."

He told me "That was the boat you were next to, he bought it in Luperon, and I helped him sail it back!"

Me, "So I'm not crazy!" At least, only a little crazy. Somehow I can't remember the name of someone I met a few hours ago, but I can remember the sweet lines of a nice sailboat that I saw 10 years ago.

So goodbye North Lake Worth, maybe we'll see you next fall......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chief of the Boat

"Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in." Mark Twain We long for an affection altogether ignorant of our faults. Heaven has accorded this to us in the uncritical canine attachment. ~George Eliot Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really. ~Agnes Sligh Turnbull I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth Chief 12/12/95 - 5/8/2010 Rest in peace, little buddy

The Adventure always continues...

This is the Blog of the Sailing Vessel Felix. Felix has been sold, so I probably won't update the blog much more, just leave it here for posterity and start another one. This blog was primarily the record of our trip from North Lake Worth, Florida up to the Chesapeake Bay and our summer there before moving back to Florida. Because Blogger won't let me rearrange the posts into chronological order, it has to be this 'latest post first' format, here is the link to the beginning of the journey . You'll just have to select the posts by month and read in reverse order. I hope you enjoy, and I'll post up the new blog here whenever and wherever it begins. Thanks

Sailing Felix

A little late, but I finally got the cable I needed for uploading video. Here's Felix sailing up the Pamlico Sound of North Carolina in June of 2009. Felix is for sale, you can find out more about her here.